Developing, managing and evaluating the effectiveness of safety systems can be a challenge for many occupational health and safety professionals. This course introduces the learner to practical concepts and provides a structure for the development of a managed system of occupational health and safety in the workplace. This course includes an overview of the elements that constitute a successful health and safety management system. Such factors include: structure and elements of safety management system, safety culture, risk communication, and project management and the management of change. This course will provide an overview of management skills and principles and how they apply to the development of safety systems within the workplace.
Management of Health and Safety Systems
What will I learn?
After completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Apply the principles learned to develop a health and safety system within a workplace
- Review the key aspects of the CSA Standard Z1000 and how they apply to effective safety management
- Outline the potential impact that an organization's structure and culture can have on health and safety management
- Assess incident information to determine its impact on the organization and recommend corrective action to maintain the effectiveness of the management system
- Benchmark performance with recognized standards and other forms of best practices and continual improvement strategies for occupational health and safety
- Describe the impact of stakeholder behaviours and motivators on the implementation of effective health and safety systems
- Review risk communication for a health and safety improvement project in accordance with risk management principles
How will I learn?
- Group discussions
- Case studies
How will I be evaluated?
Your grade will be based in part on individual participation. You’re expected to attend all 39 hours of classes, engage in discussions and review all handouts. You must also complete two exams and one written assignment.
Textbooks and learning materials
You may purchase the required textbook from the SFU Bookstore or elsewhere.
All other course materials will be made available to you online.
Canadian Standards Association, Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard Z1000-14 (2014). CSA Group, Mississauga, Ontario.