This course will equip you with the skills you need to cope with the chaos of a crisis while protecting an organization’s reputation. You'll learn how to prepare a crisis communications plan, anticipate public reaction, develop messages for key audiences, and manage media attention.
Crisis Communications and Media Relations
What will I learn?
This course will cover the following:
- The potential crises for a variety of organizations
- How issues management can help deflect potential crises
- What goes into a crisis communications plan
- How to build a crisis communications team
- Which audiences should receive information
- The intricacies of media questions in an interview
How will I learn?
- Lectures and class discussions
- Analysis of four case studies
- Independent take-home assignments
- In-class exercises, including a team project
How will I be evaluated?
- Assignments, reports, and projects
- Class participation
- Final exam
Textbooks and learning materials
You need a copy of the Canadian Press Stylebook. We will provide other custom course materials.