- Student Info
Gurdeep Parhar obtained his doctorate in medicine from the University of Calgary and subsequently completed his postgraduate training at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster, B.C.
He practices in the areas of occupational medicine, disability medicine and family medicine, with a particular interest in assisting people living with disabilities.
He is a clinical professor at the UBC Faculty of Medicine and medical director of:
- CORE (Complete Occupational, Rehabilitation and Environmental Medicine) Medical Centre
- Pacific Coast Recovery Care
- Adult ADHD Centre
- Burnaby Square Family Doctors and Welcome Medical Clinic
Dr. Parhar has previously held the following roles:
- Executive Associate Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine
- Associate Dean, UBC Faculty of Medicine
- Medical Coordinator for the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal of British Columbia (WCAT)
- Medical Advisor to the Workers’ Compensation Board of British Columbia
- Associate Head and Acting Co-Head of the UBC Department of Family Practice
Some of his honours and recognitions include:
- 2010 BC College of Family Physicians’ Teacher of the Year Award.
- 2011 UBC Killam Teaching Prize –the university’s top teaching recognition
- 2012: recognized by his alma mater, the University of Calgary, with its top Alumnus of Distinction Award.
- 2015: was awarded the May Cohen Equity, Diversity and Gender Award, the top Canadian Faculties of Medicine prize, for his work on diversity and inclusion
- 2016: provided the keynote address at the Frank Netter School of Medicine, Quinnipiac University in New Haven, Connecticut
- 2020: Canadian Medical Association Dr. William Marsden Award for Professionalism and Medical Ethics