Nilofar Shidmher, PhD, MFA, is a creative writing-informed research scholar and a bilingual writer and poet. Nilofar’s poetry and short stories have been featured in many Canadian and Iranian literary magazines including The New Quarterly, Room, The Danforth Review, The Maple Tree Literary Supplement, Zaman (Time), and Ava-ye-Tabiid (The Voice of Exile).
As a scholar, she has made several scientific contributions in the field of poetic inquiry as a research methodology in forms of journal papers and book chapters. As a creative writer, she has published two books of poetry in English, and three books of poetry and a collection of short stories in Farsi. Her first book in English, Shirin and Salt Man, was nominated for a BC Book Prize in 2009, and her second book, Between Lives, has received many positive reviews.
Nilofar served as the 2015-2016 Writer-in-Residence at Regina Public Library and the 2017 Writer-in-Residence at the City of Richmond. Between 2014 to 2017, she served as a judge, juror or reader for literary contests including the CBC Poetry Prize and the RBC Bronwen Wallace Award for Emerging Writers.
Nilofar is also an essayist in her mother tongue, writing on a wide range of social and political issues including women’s rights, the legal impediments of the Islamic jurisprudence in Iran, and subjects of migration, displacement and belonging in relation to the Iranian diaspora. As a feminist activist, she hosted the show “Iranian Women’s Voice” onVancouver Co-op Radio in 2014. She also presented lectures at the Iranian Women Studies Foundation Conference and at the Iranian Women Activists’ Organizations annual seminars in Germany.
To learn more about Nilofar and her work, visit her website: nilofarshidmehr.com
- Asghar Farhadi and His Cinema: Positive Critiques and Controversies (55+) PLUS225
- Collective Life Writing: Literary Metissage as an Ethos for Our Times (55+) SCFC902
- Iranian Women and Their Demands for Change Portrayed in Film (55+) PLUS161
- Iranian Women and Their Struggles Portrayed in Film (55+) PLUS148
- Life Writing: Creating a Self for Our Life Story (55+) PLUS181
- Life Writing: Exploring and Recreating the Self AHCP245
- Saturday Forum | Poetry of Immigration
- Two Renowned Poets of Modern Iran: Their Lives and Poetry LIB148
- Writing Fundamentals Workshop (55+)
- Writing an Essay for the Liberal Arts Certificate (55+)