Create positive and lasting change
From climate change, to economic inequity, to the unravelling of democratic institutions, resolving today’s complex and urgent problems requires collaboration, risk-taking, systems thinking and new ways of working together. Our social innovation courses and part-time program provide groundbreaking tools and methods to help you create solutions to our most challenging issues, and unleash your inner change-maker.
- Receive coaching and mentoring from experienced social innovators
- Discover techniques for exploring, developing and applying creative ideas and solutions to complex issues
- Develop solutions to address a real-world problem of your choosing through an applied practicum project
- Participate in an inspiring learning community of colleagues working on diverse challenges
3 days / course
$995 / course
Take our short and intensive courses one at a time to suit your schedule.
View social innovation courses:
There are no courses in this program open for registration at this time. Please check back later for updates.
- Traversing the Landscape of Social Innovation INNO800
- The Innovation Process: Ideation, Experiments and Containers for Risk INNO820
- Self in the System - Deepening Leadership INNO840
- Collaboration and Innovation Beyond Organizational Boundaries INNO860
- Becoming a Systems Entrepreneur - Implementation, Scaling and Systems Impact INNO880
- Practicum / Coaching / Integration INNO890
5 courses + practicum
Finish in as little as 8 months
Our Social Innovation Certificate features an applied practicum project that allows you to address a real-world problem of your choosing.
You'll learn to:
- Engage complex problems in new ways, including observing and mapping systems with greater clarity, diagnosing problems, experimenting and iterating
- Recognize and apply the innovation process arc from beginning to end, with an emphasis on problem definition through ideation and experimentation
- Develop embodiment and awareness practices that allow you to become more grounded, present and conscious
- Distill lessons from successful examples of cross-sector collaboration and innovation, and apply insights to your own strategy development
- Identify levers for change in your system, including financial, legal, policy and cultural opportunities
- Develop and test innovative ways to address your challenge in the field or through your organization
Is this program for you?
We’ve designed our program for professionals in the public, private and non-profit sectors. Our students come from a variety of fields, including:
- Social justice
- Public health
Become eligible for graduate studies at SFU
With the Social Innovation Certificate and eight or more years of professional experience, you may be eligible for admission to the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (GDBA) program at SFU’s Beedie School of Business, even if you don’t have an undergraduate degree.