Part-time, in class Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials

Frequently asked questions about this program

Q: How long does it take to complete the Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials Certificate?

A: The program can be completed in 10 months, taking all five courses from June 10, 2019 to April 1, 2020. Alternatively, if you've been taking courses at your own pace, you have until April 1, 2020 to finish all courses and complete the program.

Q: What do I need to graduate with the Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials Certificate?

A: To graduate in the Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials Certificate, complete all five required courses with a minimum C average overall. Once you’ve completed the courses, please submit a graduation request form.

Q: Why are biology and chemistry recommended?

A: The art of making craft beer cannot be separated from the science, and this is reflected in the curriculum. While we don’t require Grade 12 biology and chemistry, we do find that students with a basic understanding of sciences will be better prepared to succeed. Students without a science background can be successful, but may need to put in some extra effort and time.

Q: Do I need to be of legal drinking age to register for Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials courses?

Yes. To enroll in any Craft Beer and Brewing Essentials courses, students must be at least 19 years of age. 

Q: How can I learn more about the craft beer industry?

A: You have several options:

  • Attend one of our program information sessions.
  • Explore information, news and opportunities for networking through the Campaign for Real Ale’s B.C. Chapter. CAMRA B.C. is dedicated to the promotion and responsible consumption of natural, crafted beers and has more than 1,500 members in British Columbia.
  • Take advantage of events and activities during Craft Beer Week, which usually begins the last week of May.

Q: What opportunities will be available to me after I graduate?

A: Some of our graduates may already be working in the craft beer industry or may simply be home hobbyists. Others may find entry-level employment at any of the growing number of craft beer breweries, brewpubs or suppliers in the region. Some graduates will plan to start their own craft breweries.

Q: Will these courses allow me to become a Master Brewer?

A: The courses are designed to teach you the basics of the craft beer industry, and help position you for a future in the industry—whether that means a career, further education, or rounding out your knowledge as a home hobbyist.

It will not provide the education required to become a Master Brewer. For more information about this qualification, please visit the Institute of Brewing and Distilling.

Q: When do your courses start?

A: The final run of our program began June 10, 2019 and will finish April 1, 2020. Visit our Courses page for the start dates of individual courses. 

Q: Are scholarships or other funding available?

A: If you work in the private or non-profit sector in B.C., your employer may be eligible for the B.C. Employer Training Grant, which provides funding for employers to support skills training for their current and new employees.

If you are an Internationally Trained Professional, you may contact S.U.C.C.E.S.S. for potential financial assistance from the Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) Loan Project.

The provincial government offers a tuition waiver for former youth in care attending public post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. B.C. students who are between 19 and 26 years of age who have received care from the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a Delegated Aboriginal Agency through the Child, Family and Community Service Act may be eligible for a tuition waiver for all Continuing Studies courses and programs. 

The program is not eligible for any other B.C. or Canada Student Loans, but you are welcome to obtain funding through other sources such as your personal financial institution (line of credit, borrowing from RRSPs, etc.).

Frequently asked questions about SFU Continuing Studies

Q: Where do your courses take place?

A: Simon Fraser University has three campuses: in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. While undergraduate and graduate courses take place at all three campuses, we offer SFU Continuing Studies courses primarily at the Vancouver and Surrey campuses.

Please check course or program pages to find out where classes meet.

SFU Continuing Studies also offers online programs and courses, which are available to students anywhere in the world.

Q: Do I need to apply for admission if I want to take SFU Continuing Studies courses?

A: You do not have to apply for admission to register for most Continuing Studies courses, but there are application procedures for our certificate and diploma programs. Visit the certificate or diploma program pages for details.

Q: Can I apply for a study permit for SFU Continuing Studies programs?

A study permit is not needed if you want to take short-term courses or programs of study of six months or less. Our part-time Dialogue and Civic EngagementExecutive LeadershipSocial Innovation and Urban Design certificates as well as The Writer's Studio, and our full-time English Language and Culture Program and Interpretation and Translation Program are the only programs that may entitle you to qualify for a study permit. For more information on study permits, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada directly. The permit procedure for undergraduate and graduate students is available on SFU's Student Services website.

Q: Is there a different fee structure for international students?

A: Although undergraduate and graduate programs have different fee structures for international students, fees for Continuing Studies courses and programs are the same for domestic and international students.

Q: How do I find out about your free public events?

A: Click on the public lectures and events link on the sidebar.

Q: Do you have a course about ... ?

A: Please search our website for courses and programs that might interest you. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, we probably don't yet offer a course or program in that area. Please contact us at or 778-782-8000 if you have questions.

Q: How do I request a transcript?

A: Go to our online form to request a transcript of courses you have completed through SFU Continuing Studies.

Q: Can I access my grades online?

A: Once you have an account, you can review your courses, schedule and grades online. Instructions for accessing your grades are available in our online guide.

Q: Will I receive an income-tax receipt for my tuition?

A. If your SFU tuition fees exceed $100 in one calendar year, they may qualify as a tax credit. The payment receipt that we'll email you after you register is your official tax receipt. To determine whether your tuition fees qualify, consult the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.

Q: What is your policy on course cancellations and instructor substitutions?

A: We reserve the right to substitute instructors or cancel courses without liability. In the event of a cancellation, we will make every effort to give registered students adequate notice. To make this process easier, when you register for courses, please provide full contact information, including your home and business telephone numbers, email address(es) and a fax number.

Q: What is your policy on program withdrawals and tuition refunds?

A: Our Refund Policy is posted on our Registration Information page.

Q: When I complete my program, what will my alumni status be?

A: Graduates of SFU certificate and diploma programs become SFU alumni, complete with all of our alumni benefits.

Q: What is a cohort?

A: We call several of our programs cohort programs. This means you will work through the program courses with a group of your peers (called a cohort). Some program courses are available only to cohort students—that is, students who have been accepted to and are working through the entire program.