Japanese/English Translation Workshop
Are you a freelance translator in North America or Asia? Would you like to be?
SFU's Japanese/English Translation Workshop has been preparing translators for successful careers for more than 10 years.
Our instructor, who has extensive experience in both the classroom and the industry, will guide you through the world of professional translation step by step:
- Get a comprehensive overview of the industry
- Learn essential translation skills, editing techniques and editing tools
- Learn to transfer meaning between Japanese and English precisely and concisely in official documents, localization and marketing projects and business-related materials
- Practice translating through weekly in-class and take-home assignments
You will complete the workshop part-time in just 12 weeks. Classes meet one evening a week. See sample workshop schedule.
Who is this translation workshop for?
The Japanese/English Translation Workshop is ideal for bilingual Japanese and English speakers who want to pursue careers as freelance translators in North America. It may also benefit working professionals who translate in business or social settings.
What will I learn?
You'll study a variety of topics:
- Introduction to translation practice
- Contrastive analysis of English and Japanese syntax
- Editing techniques
- Equipment and software that translators use
- The translation market in North America
- How to build a client base
- Pricing and time management for freelance translators
- Professional certification in B.C. and Canada