Medical Translation and Interpretation Certificate (Mandarin Chinese/English)
In just three months part-time, get the specialized training you need to become a medical translator and interpreter in Mandarin Chinese/English. You’ll graduate ready to work in hospitals, clinics and other medical settings, putting your bilingual skills to work supporting patients and health care providers. You’ll also be well prepared for the exam to be nationally certified as a medical translator and interpreter.
Why this program?
- Complete the program in 3 months ready to work as a medical interpreter and translator
- Get remote hands-on training in medical settings
- Be ready to take the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC) exam for national certification as a medical translator and interpreter
- Learn in a cohort of no more than 30 students
- Graduate with a certificate that confers SFU alumni status
- Canada forecasts 8,100 new job openings in interpretation and translation between 2019 and 2028
- High demand for Mandarin/English interpreters and translators, particularly in B.C.
- Strongest employment prospects for professionals with specialized training in legal or scientific fields
- Medical interpreters and translators commonly employed by hospitals, physicians’ offices, clinics, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, mental health clinics and interpretation agencies.
- Across Canada, wages for an interpreter or translator reach an average high of about $43/hour
To graduate, complete each course with a minimum grade of B-.
Sep 20–Dec 10, 2022
Class time: 12 hours/week
Homework: 2–3 hours/week
Field training: minimum 5 sessions (15 hours)
Tue & Thu 6:30 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Sat 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Pacific Time
Included in tuition
$3,950 (same for international and domestic students)
$75 program application fee
We will evaluate your application based on your academic qualifications, proficiency in both English and Mandarin Chinese, and your performance on our entrance exam. See Application requirements for details.