Stepping Stones Certificate in Community Capacity Building

Frequently asked questions about this program

Q: Who can take this program?

A: We have designed the Stepping Stones Community Capacity Building Certificate for Aboriginal people who want to expand their skills, share them with others, and make a positive difference in their rural communities.

We offer the program in partnership with external funders and Aboriginal organizations and communities. Please contact us to discuss options.

Please note that this certificate is not available for individual registration.

Q: How do I apply to this program?

A: We offer the Stepping Stones Certificate in Community Capacity Building in partnership with Aboriginal organizations or groups who are interested in building capacity in their communities. Please contact us to discuss options.

Q: What do I need to do to graduate?

A: To receive the Certificate in Community Capacity Building, complete all six courses. You’ll receive a grade of pass or fail for each course. There are no letter or number grades.

Q: How much does this program cost?

A: We strive to make the Certificate in Community Capacity Building free through partnerships with external funders and Aboriginal community partners.

Q: Who are your partners in this project?

A: Many partners have helped create the Certificate in Community Capacity Building or participated in past offerings of the program. They include the following:

  • Government of Canada’s Office of Literacy and Essential Skills (funder)
  • BC Centre for Disease Control
  • BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
  • Decoda Literacy Solutions
  • Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation
  • Health Initiative for Men
  • Lower Sts’atl’imx Tribal Council
  • N’Quatqua First Nation
  • Pacific AIDS Network
  • PHS Community Services Society
  • Positive Women’s Network
  • Samahquam First Nation
  • Stó:lō Aboriginal Skills and Employment Training
  • Sts’ailes First Nation
  • Soowahlie First Nation
  • Vancouver Coastal Health Authority (MAT Program)
  • Vancouver Native Health Society (Positive Outlook Program)
  • YouthCO

Frequently asked questions about SFU Continuing Studies

Q: Where do your courses take place?

A: Simon Fraser University has three campuses: in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. While undergraduate and graduate courses take place at all three campuses, we offer SFU Continuing Studies courses primarily at the Vancouver and Surrey campuses.

Please check course or program pages to find out where classes meet.

SFU Continuing Studies also offers online programs and courses, which are available to students anywhere in the world.

Q: When do your courses start?

A: While undergraduate and graduate courses start at the beginning of each semester (January, May and September), SFU Continuing Studies programs begin throughout the year. Please check course or program pages for start dates.

Q: Do I need to apply for admission if I want to take SFU Continuing Studies courses?

A: You do not have to apply for admission to register for most Continuing Studies courses, but there are application procedures for our certificate and diploma programs. 

Q: Can I apply for a study permit for SFU Continuing Studies programs?

A study permit is not needed if you want to take short-term courses or programs of study of six months or less. Our part-time Dialogue and Civic EngagementExecutive Leadership and Social Innovation certificates as well as The Writer's Studio, and our full-time English Language and Culture Program and Interpretation and Translation Program are the only programs that may entitle you to qualify for a study permit. For more information on study permits, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada directly. The permit procedure for undergraduate and graduate students is available on SFU's Student Services website.

Q: Is there a different fee structure for international students?

A: Although undergraduate and graduate programs have different fee structures for international students, fees for Continuing Studies courses and programs are the same for domestic and international students.

Q: How do I find out about your free public events?

A: Click on the public lectures and events link on the sidebar.

Q: Do you have a course about ... ?

A: Please search our website for courses and programs that might interest you. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, we probably don't yet offer a course or program in that area. Please contact us at or 778-782-8000 if you have questions.

Q: How do I request a transcript?

A: Go to our online form to request a transcript of courses you have completed through SFU Continuing Studies.

Q: Can I access my grades online?

A: Once you have an account, you can review your courses, schedule and grades online. Instructions for accessing your grades are available in our online guide.

Q: Will I receive an income-tax receipt for my tuition?

A. If your SFU tuition fees exceed $100 in one calendar year, they may qualify as a tax credit. The payment receipt that we'll email you after you register is your official tax receipt. To determine whether your tuition fees qualify, consult the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.

Q: What is your policy on course cancellations and instructor substitutions?

A: We reserve the right to substitute instructors or cancel courses without liability. In the event of a cancellation, we will make every effort to give registered students adequate notice. To make this process easier, when you register for courses, please provide full contact information, including your email address(es) and home and business telephone numbers.

Q: What is your policy on program withdrawals and tuition refunds?

A: Our Refund Policy is posted on our Registration Information page.

Q: When I complete my program, what will my alumni status be?

A: Graduates of SFU certificate and diploma programs become SFU alumni, complete with all of our alumni benefits.

Q: What is a cohort?

A: We call several of our programs cohort programs. This means you will work through the program courses with a group of your peers (called a cohort). Some program courses are available only to cohort students—that is, students who have been accepted to and are working through the entire program.

Learn more


Phone: 778-782-8000 (or toll-free 1-844-782-8877)