Part-time, in class Urban Design Certificate

Frequently asked questions about this program

Q: Can I be exempt from any of the courses in the Urban Design Certificate?

A: No. We do not offer course exemptions or transfer credit from other institutions.

Q: I’ve taken SFU urban design courses before. Can I apply those courses to the certificate?

A: If you’ve completed individual courses in the past seven years, you may apply them to the Urban Design Certificate after we accept your application, provided you completed all your assignments on deadline. If you did not complete assignments, you may earn credit retroactively by submitting each course assignment with a $75 marking fee, within two years of attending the course. 

Only SFU City Program urban design courses (with the prefix URBD) are eligible for retroactive credit. We do not accept courses from other institutions.

Q: What are your policies for international students?


Course and program fees are the same for domestic and international students. Full program costs vary depending on your choice of electives.

Study permits:

As an international student, you must register and pay for all courses in the program before we issue a letter of acceptance for a study permit application. 

If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada denies your application for a study permit, you will be eligible for a full refund if you submit a written request 14 business days before the program starts and include the original Immigration Canada letter verifying your study permit was denied. If you cancel your registration for any other reason, you are subject to the Continuing Studies non-credit course cancellation/refund policy.

Transfer credit:

The Urban Design Certificate is a non-credit program offered by SFU Continuing Studies. Courses in the program cannot be counted toward SFU degrees.

Q: What do I need to do to graduate?

A: To receive the Urban Design Certificate, complete all six core courses and two electives, including take-home assignments. You must complete all coursework within two years of starting the program.

Q: Are scholarships or other funding available?

If you work in the private or non-profit sector in B.C., your employer may be eligible for the B.C. Employer Training Grant, which provides funding for employers to support skills training for their current and new employees.

If you are an Internationally Trained Professional, you may contact S.U.C.C.E.S.S. for potential financial assistance from the Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) Loan Project.

The provincial government offers a tuition waiver for former youth in care attending public post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. B.C. students who are between 19 and 26 years of age who have received care from the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a Delegated Aboriginal Agency through the Child, Family and Community Service Act may be eligible for a tuition waiver for all Continuing Studies courses and programs. 

The program is not eligible for any other B.C. or Canada Student Loans, but you are welcome to obtain funding through other sources such as your personal financial institution. If you are a beneficiary of a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), you may be able to withdraw funds from your RESP to pay for Continuing Studies programs and courses. Please contact your RESP provider for details.

Individuals from the United States who have completed an approved term of national service in AmeriCorps programs may be able to use funding from the Segal Americorps Education Award towards tuition for programs and courses at SFU Continuing Studies.

Q: Who are your partners?

A: We offer several urban design courses outside Metro Vancouver in partnership with the City of Edmonton, the City of Calgary, and the City of Ottawa.

Frequently asked questions about SFU Continuing Studies

Q: Where do your courses take place?

A: Simon Fraser University has three campuses: in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. While undergraduate and graduate courses take place at all three campuses, we offer SFU Continuing Studies courses primarily at the Vancouver and Surrey campuses.

Please check course or program pages to find out where classes meet.

SFU Continuing Studies also offers online programs and courses, which are available to students anywhere in the world.

Q: When do your courses start?

A: While undergraduate and graduate courses start at the beginning of each semester (January, May and September), SFU Continuing Studies programs begin throughout the year. Please check course or program pages for start dates.

Q: Do I need to apply for admission if I want to take SFU Continuing Studies courses?

A: You do not have to apply for admission to register for most Continuing Studies courses, but there are application procedures for our certificate and diploma programs. Visit the certificate or diploma program pages for details.

Q: How do I find out about your free public events?

A: Click on the public lectures and events link on the sidebar.

Q: Do you have a course about ... ?

A: Please search our website for courses and programs that might interest you. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, we probably don't yet offer a course or program in that area. Please contact us at or 778-782-8000 if you have questions.

Q: How do I request a transcript?

A: Go to our online form to request a transcript of courses you have completed through SFU Continuing Studies.

Q: Can I access my grades online?

A: Once you have an account, you can review your courses, schedule and grades online. Instructions for accessing your grades are available in our online guide.

Q: Will I receive an income-tax receipt for my tuition?

A. If your SFU tuition fees exceed $100 in one calendar year, they may qualify as a tax credit. The payment receipt that we'll email you after you register is your official tax receipt. To determine whether your tuition fees qualify, consult the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.

Q: What is your policy on course cancellations and instructor substitutions?

A: We reserve the right to substitute instructors or cancel courses without liability. In the event of a cancellation, we will make every effort to give registered students adequate notice. To make this process easier, when you register for courses, please provide full contact information, including your email address(es) and home and business telephone numbers.

Q: What is your policy on program withdrawals and tuition refunds?

A: Our Refund Policy is posted on our Registration Information page.

Q: When I complete my program, what will my alumni status be?

A: Graduates of SFU certificate and diploma programs become SFU alumni, complete with all of our alumni benefits.

Q: What is a cohort?

A: We call several of our programs cohort programs. This means you will work through the program courses with a group of your peers (called a cohort). Some program courses are available only to cohort students—that is, students who have been accepted to and are working through the entire program.