Graduation Checklist

Step 2: Apply to graduate

Apply online

Apply for graduation during the final term you are enrolled at SFU:

  1. Log into your student account at
  2. From the menu at top left, expand Self Service
  3. Under Self Service, select Graduation/Convocation
  4. Select Apply for Graduation
  5. Read the instructions, scroll down, and click the Continue button to fill out the online application form.

How do I check my application status?

View your status on

  • Applied: Your application has been received. You need to pay the fee.
  • Approved: Graduation has been approved by your faculty for recommendation to Senate.  It will remain "Approved" for only a few days prior to being "Awarded."
  • Awarded: Senate has granted your degree: You may now participate in the upcoming Convocation ceremony and receive your degree parchment. You will receive a letter from Senate confirming the award of your degree.
  • Denied: Your application for graduation was not approved by your faculty.
  • In Review: Application is under review by your faculty. Status will remain "In Review" until shortly before Senate meets (normally, Senate meets early in September, February and May).
  • Pending: Payment has been received and processed – applications will stay in this status until close to the end of the term.
  • Withdrawn: Your application for graduation was withdrawn, either at your request or for non-payment of the graduation fee. You may re-apply.

What should I do if want to cancel my application?

You may cancel your graduation application up until the first day of classes of the term following your final term of enrollment.

  1. Log into
  2. Choose the Apply for Graduation option out of the other academics pull down menu
  3. Click continue
  4. You will see your application status
  5. Click on cancel my application


  • When you have successfully cancelled your application, the graduation fee will be refunded into your account.

What should I do if I haven’t received my Senate letter after May 21?

Confirm your status by checking on or call 778.782.6930 (undergraduates) and 778.782.3042 (graduate students).

What should I do if I finished my courses over three terms ago and want to graduate now?

Email Student Records at  (use Graduation Application as your subject line). They will send you an application form which you should fill out and fax to 778.782.4969.