Step 2: Apply to graduate
Apply for graduation during the final term you are enrolled at SFU:
- Log into your student account at go.sfu.ca.
- From the menu at top left, expand Self Service
- Under Self Service, select Graduation/Convocation
- Select Apply for Graduation
- Read the instructions, scroll down, and click the Continue button to fill out the online application form.
How do I check my application status?
View your status on go.sfu.ca.
- Applied: Your application has been received. You need to pay the fee.
- Approved: Graduation has been approved by your faculty for recommendation to Senate. It will remain "Approved" for only a few days prior to being "Awarded."
- Awarded: Senate has granted your degree: You may now participate in the upcoming Convocation ceremony and receive your degree parchment. You will receive a letter from Senate confirming the award of your degree.
- Denied: Your application for graduation was not approved by your faculty.
- In Review: Application is under review by your faculty. Status will remain "In Review" until shortly before Senate meets (normally, Senate meets early in September, February and May).
- Pending: Payment has been received and processed – applications will stay in this status until close to the end of the term.
- Withdrawn: Your application for graduation was withdrawn, either at your request or for non-payment of the graduation fee. You may re-apply.
You may cancel your graduation application up until the first day of classes of the term following your final term of enrollment.
- Log into go.sfu.ca
- Choose the Apply for Graduation option out of the other academics pull down menu
- Click continue
- You will see your application status
- Click on cancel my application
- When you have successfully cancelled your application, the graduation fee will be refunded into your account.
What should I do if I haven’t received my Senate letter after May 21?
Confirm your status by checking on go.sfu.ca or call 778.782.6930 (undergraduates) and 778.782.3042 (graduate students).
What should I do if I finished my courses over three terms ago and want to graduate now?
Email Student Records at email@example.com (use Graduation Application as your subject line). They will send you an application form which you should fill out and fax to 778.782.4969.