- Learn More
- Info Sessions
- Arts & Social Sciences
- Beedie School of Business
- Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology
- Computing Science
- Contemporary Arts
- Engineering Science
- Health Sciences
- Interactive Arts & Technology
- Mechatronic Systems Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Engineering
- Software Systems
- Co-op Abroad
- Equity & Inclusion
- Contact Us
- Bridging Online (BOL)
- SIGN IN TO MYEXPERIENCE ↗
- HIRE OUR STUDENTS ↗
- READ OUR BLOG ↗
- WIL STAFF RESOURCES ↗
Welcome to Bridging Online Learning (BOL), the online Co-operative Education pre-employment course that all SFU Co-op student complete.
BOL is a unique skills transfer course that intends to help you identify and use your skills and knowledge in different contexts. Specifically, BOL will focus on helping you use what you have learned in school, work, volunteer and other experiences effectively in the workplace and vice versa.
BOL is delivered as an online course via Canvas.
- BOL I is a two-week plus two-day online course and takes approx. 10-12 hours to complete. The main topics are skills transfer and drafting your resume and cover letter. You will complete BOL I after you have been accepted into your Co-op Program.
BOL I Course Description
BOL I is designed to help you jump start your work integrated learning experience. Interactions with a facilitator and your peers will guide your learning. The material is presented with infographics, videos, and podcasts so there is not a lot of reading. Discussions, assignments, quizzes and self-directed activities will complement your learning. You will:
- Explore your experiences and learn how your skills can transfer to a professional job
- Learn the tools needed to write a professional and convincing resume and cover letter
- Understand your career goals and the variety of paths you can take to success
- Reflect on yourself through an inclusive lens and learn how to communicate professionally in a diverse context
We are committed to the principle of universal learning in an inclusive environment. We invite participation from all students with the diverse identities that we each bring to the course. Mutual respect, civility, an understanding of ourselves and our peers, and the ability to listen carefully are crucial to universal learning. Active, thoughtful, and respectful participation in all aspects of the course will make our time together as productive and engaging as possible.
BOL II Working Student Curriculum
In the past, students starting out on their Co-op work term were required to register in a stand-alone course called BOL II: Engaging Your Workplace. To avoid this additional step, we are pleased to announce that the BOL II content has now been integrated into program-specific working student courses. Among other things, the curriculum covers important topics such as Rights and Responsibilities and Health, Safety, and Well-Being.
BOL I: Register once you have applied and been accepted to Co-op.
Register via the events calendar in myExperience.
BOL Session Offerings and Registration
May 10 - May 26
May 17 - June 2
May 24 - June 9
May 31 - June 16
June 7 - June 23
June 14 - June 30
June 21 - July 7
June 28 - July 14
July 5 - July 21
July 12 - July 28
July 19 - August 4
July 26 - August 11
August 2 - August 18
August 9 - August 25