How are the graduate awards paid?

You must accept the award you are offered and enroll full-time in your graduate program before an award can be paid. Award payments will occur on a scheduled basis throughout each term as listed on our website. Award payments will first be applied to your SFU student account, paying off any outstanding tuition and fees. Remaining funds will then be transferred to your bank account as a refund as long as you have signed up for direct deposit.

What does the status paidEX or paidPR mean?

PaidEX means that the award is paid to you directly from an external source (e.g., external organization). PaidPR means that the award is paid to you via bi-weekly payroll payments.

Why do I need to update my banking information if I am already on payroll?

SFU Payroll and the SFU Student Accounts are separate systems that do not share information with each other. Banking information for direct deposit of graduate awards, disbursed through SFU Student Accounts, must be entered separately into the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca).

When do I get paid? How often do I get paid?

All graduate awards are normally paid into your SFU student account once a term. (For dates, see the Award Payments page.), Your award offer will also list the academic term when your award will be paid.

Do I have to pay taxes on my award?

All scholarships and awards are normally non-taxable for full-time graduate students. You should check with your accountant or tax expert to confirm if your scholarship is non-taxable. You will receive a T4A slip that you can use in filing your taxes to Revenue Canada. If you are a newcomer to Canada, our Income Tax for International Graduate Students page will give you a basic overview of the Canadian tax system.

I need to take a leave from my program (maternity/parental, sick leave or work related leave). Who do I notify? What happens to my award?

The process is different depending on which award you hold.

Please contact the Awards Team at gpsaward@sfu.ca and include your student number and the name of your award(s).

Where do I find my SFU account activity including my money owing, payments, and refunds?

To view your account activity, log into your SIMS student account and follow the steps outlined below:

Click on:  Main Menu ►Self Service ►Campus Finances ►Account Inquiry ►Activity Tab

This will allow you to view your account including any charges on the account, payments to your account (i.e. awards, bursaries) and refunds.  If you have submitted your banking information the refund will be deposited directly into your personal banking account.  

Your account search can be narrowed according to date or term that you are interested in. If you believe you are missing a payment or received the incorrect award amount, please check out your Account Activity prior to contacting the Finance team in the Graduate Studies Office.

You can view your award payment via the Student Information System by clicking on the 'Student Aid & Award Profile' link. Note that this information will only be updated once classes start. This means that you can view Fall information in early September, Spring information in early January and Summer information in early May. You can also access the 'Account Inquiry' link to view how the scholarship was applied to tuition and other fees owing.

What happens if I did not set up direct deposit on go.sfu.ca? 

If you did not set up direct deposit on go.sfu.ca, then you can receive a cheque for the leftover funds. You only need to set up direct deposit once on your account. Cheques can be picked up from the Registrar's Office in the Maggie Benston Bldg 3000 level. However, cheques are only issued once a month. Check our payment schedule for the dates when refunds are processed. - add link here to: http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/awards/award-payments/award-payments.html