SFU-IIT India Initiative
Simon Fraser University (SFU) and Mitacs have partnered to support research collaborations between SFU and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). Together they will provide 10 awards annually for IIT senior undergraduate and graduate students to conduct research at SFU and 10 awards annually for SFU senior undergraduate and graduate students to conduct research at IIT partner institutions in India.
Through these awards students can participate in a 12-week research project abroad, jointly supervised by an IIT and an SFU faculty member. Students will reﬁne their research skills in new environments while gaining cultural ﬂuency. Faculty members can expand their international research networks and strengthen their research capacity.
For IIT Faculty and Students
Simon Fraser University (SFU) and Mitacs have partnered to support research collaborations between SFU and the IITs. Together they will provide 10 awards annually for IIT senior undergraduate and graduate students to conduct research at SFU. Awards are valued at $6,000 CAD per student and help to support travel, accommodation, and living expenses over a 12-week research project. An additional $2,000 top-up from SFU is available for students participating in research placements with SFU’s Faculty of Applied Science ($8,000 CAD total award value).
The program is open to senior undergraduate students and graduate students enrolled in an IIT in India. Students must have the support of their supervisor at their home institution.
If you are and IIT student interested in this opportunity, please follow the steps:
1. Review the projects currently open for applications for Summer 2019 (see below)
2. Complete the Expression of Interest Form (download)
3. Please attach your transcript along with the application. (and CV, if applicable)
4. Submit your expression of interest documents via email directly to the SFU faculty member (project supervisor) as indicated in the project summary.
Deadline for Expression of Interests: Friday, October 26, 2018
Please refer to the FAQs below for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: What level of students are eligible?
A: The exchange is open to IIT undergraduate students in third year and above, or graduate students (Masters and Ph.D. students).
Q2: What is the deadline for submitting my expression of interest?
A: Please submit your application and required documents to the project supervisor no later than Friday, October 26, 2018.
Q3: Who can I contact?
A: Please contact the specified coordinators in each Faculty should you have any inquiries:
- Faculty of Applied Science: Ms. Ash Lalani at email@example.com
- Faculty of Science: Ms. Kathryn White at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beedie School of Business: Ms. Alana McGillvary at email@example.com
Q4: When will the students be notified of the results?
A: We will notify the applicants of the result by Mid-November.
Q5: What happens next?
A: Students who have been successful in their expression of interest to one of the projects will be notified by SFU to complete a formal program application to Mitacs and an application for admission to SFU as a visiting research student.
Q6: If selected, when can I start the exchange program?
A: Placements for summer could begin as early as May 2019, but please note that the starting date will be subject to the visa processing time.
For SFU Faculty and Students
SFU and Mitacs have partnered to support research collaborations between SFU and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). Together they will provide 10 awards annually for SFU senior undergraduate and graduate students to conduct research at the IITs. In addition, this internship may be eligible as a co-op term. Please work with your co-op office to determine eligibility.
Awards are valued at $6,000 CAD per student and help to support travel, accommodation, and living expenses over a 12-24 week research project. An additional $5,000 CAD of in-kind support will be provided by the IITs to support research expenses, accommodation, meals, and other expenses related to providing secure and comfortable environment.
Interested in applying?
SFU students, please speak with your faculty supervisor or SFU International co-op coordinator Amy Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org to identify an IIT professor who works in your research area. Reach out to the professor(s) about your research and hosting your potential project and apply by following the information below.
SFU faculty members, please share this information with your students who might be interested in conducting research at an IIT. Connect with your IIT collaborators about hosting your student’s project and apply with your student by following the information below.
How to apply:
- Application instructions and materials available on the Mitacs website.
- Applications require a signature from the SFU Office of Research Services via the SFU Signature Sheet prior to submission to Mitacs:
- List the SFU Faculty Supervisor as the Principal Investigator. The student should subsequently be listed in parentheses, i.e., "Supervisor Name (Student Name)"
- SFU Signature Sheets are signed by the SFU Faculty Supervisor, then their Chair/Director, and then their Faculty Dean. Once these signatures are obtained, the SFU Signature Sheet will be sent to SFU ORS for final approval.
- Once final approval has been granted, SFU ORS will return the signed application documents to the SFU Faculty Supervisor.
- Applicants should submit completed application packages to SFU’s Mitacs representative Allison Brennan at email@example.com.
- Please note that the “Student Code of Conduct and Ethics” and “International pre-departure form” are NOT required by Mitacs at the time of application.