Provost International Fellowship
Please note: Students do not apply for these awards directly.
Eligible candidates must be nominated for a Provost International Fellowship by their department of enrolment. Nominations are submitted by the Departmental Graduate Program Committee directly to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Terms of Reference
- The Provost International Fellowship (PIF) will be awarded to outstanding international students who are initiating their graduate program at SFU and have received a scholarship from their home country to study abroad. These awards must provide a stipend* for living expenses for students studying abroad for all three terms including costs of Health and Medical Insurance and student fees, other than tuition (*normally valued at minimally $15,000 CDN per year).
- To be eligible to receive this award, a student’s initial enrolment must meet the SFU graduate program entrance requirements for international students including:
- English language requirements;
- be registered as a fulltime, regular (not "on leave") student, and
- normally must have a first class (SFU equivalent of 3.67) grade point average.
- English language requirements;
- The Provost International Fellowship has a value equivalent to the student’s tuition based on the research program full-time fee, which is currently valued at approximately $1,666 per academic term ($5,000 per year) and will be disbursed on a per term basis. Normally, these awards are not available to students in premium fee programs.
- This award is available throughout the duration of the student’s studies for up to a maximum of 2 (masters) or 4 (doctoral) years, provided PIF recipients continue to hold their country of origin’s
scholarship to study abroad, that they remain registered as a full-time, regular (not "on leave") student, and maintain a first class (3.67) grade point average. In programs where fees are
assessed on a per credit basis, students must be taking at least six credits to be eligible to hold a PIF. These fellowships will be reviewed on an annual basis to ensure that all requirements are being met.
- PIF recipients are not eligible to receive other scholarship support from internal SFU sources (e.g., major entrance scholarships (C. D. Nelson Scholarships), Graduate Fellowships (GFs), Special Graduate Entrance Scholarships (SGES), etc.), with the exception of private awards which are derived from annual and endowed funds.
- There is no restriction on PIF recipients receiving income from Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships performed during tenure of the PIF but the maximum amount of financial support cannot exceed $50,000.
- Academic units are encouraged to match the value of the PIF award through Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships on an annual basis provided the student is suitably qualified to act as a teaching assistant or tutor marker.
- Eligible candidates must be nominated for a Provost International Fellowship by their department of enrolment. Nominations are submitted by the Departmental Graduate Program Committee directly to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Awards are made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, contingent upon the availability of funds.
Revised: March 2012
See also: Provost Prize of Distinction