Provost Prize of Distinction
Program is changing - page will be updated in October 2017. The following information is not current. Thank you for your patience.
Please note: Students do not apply for these awards directly.
Eligible candidates must be nominated for a Provost Prize of Distinction by their department of enrolment. Nominations are submitted by the Departmental Graduate Program Committee directly to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Terms of Reference
- The Provost Prize of Distinction (PPD) top-up will be awarded to outstanding students who are offered approved multi-year funding packages. Normally, the PPD award is not available to students in specialty programs.
- The value of the PPD is up to $5,000 per year which will be paid by the University as a scholarship.
- The PPD award is available throughout the duration of the student’s graduate studies for up to a maximum of 2 year for master's students and up to a maximum of 4 years for doctoral students from initial enrolment, provided the recipient remains registered as a full-time, regular (not ‘on leave’) student, and have a minimum first class grade point average of 3.67 (A-). If a current PPD recipient registers ‘on leave’ during tenure of this award, it will be interrupted until such time as the student is registered full-time and their PPD will be reinstated at that time.
- PPD recipients may accept scholarship support from other sources including SFU’s ‘private’ awards (derived from annual and endowed funds) to a maximum of $35,000 per annum. Recipients should be aware that some external awards may restrict students from holding a scholarship at the same time as the external award and that should scholarship support exceed the $35,000 maximum, the PPD will be reduced in value or offered in name only.
- There is no restriction on PPD recipients receiving financial support from Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships performed during tenure of the PPD provided the total financial support does not exceed $50,000 per academic year.
- PPD awards will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee upon nomination of the Graduate Program Chair, contingent upon the availability of funds.
Revised: January 2015/ GUSE004
See also: Provost International Fellowship