CIHR / NSERC / SSHRC
If you are interested in applying to any of the external awards listed below, please check your eligibility, the application procedures and forms on the website of the target funding agency.
The Canadian Graduate Scholarship, Master's Program (CGS M) supports Canadian students in all disciplines and is administered jointly by Canada's three federal granting agencies: the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
At a Glance:
- Canadian Graduate Scholarship, Master's Program (CGS M), $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
- Students apply for these awards using the Research Portal; applications are then routed through an adjudication process at the university
- Workshop: November 3rd, 2016 from 2:00-4:00 in the IRMACS Theatre, Burnaby Campus
- Deadline to apply online: December 1, 2016 (by 5:00 pm)
Where to Start
- Ensure your GPA is eligible. Applicants must have a first class average (A- or 3.67) in the last two completed years of study (full time equivalent) to be considered by SFU. Check your transcript to ensure that you have at least an A- average in your last 24-30 credits AND at least an A- average in the 24-30 credits previous to that
- Ensure that your research falls under one of the agencies’ mandates by reviewing the subject eligibility: www.science.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=en&n=FEE7261A-1
- Ensure you are eligible to apply by visiting the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program description: www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp
- Order your official transcripts from each institution you have attended. Your SFU transcript can be unofficial if SFU is the ONLY institution you are applying to. Yes, you need to include an SFU transcript even if there are no grades - we need it to confirm registration.
- You need to scan and upload your transcripts as a single .pdf to the Research Portal. Don't have access to a scanner? Drop your transcripts off at our office during October; we will scan them and email you the .pdf
- Attend the 2016 CGS Master's Applicant Workshop. Be sure to have your application started as we will be answering content and writing questions.
Choosing a University
Applicants can select up to five Universities where they wish to hold the award. You should select Simon Fraser University as one of their institutions in the application form if:
- you are currently enrolled full time at SFU in an eligible graduate program; or
- you intend to apply for full-time admission to an eligible program of study. A separate application to graduate studies at SFU is required and your CGS M application will not be considered if you have not applied for admission to SFU by January 15, 2017. Information about admissions can be found on the Graduate Studies website: www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies
How to Apply:
The deadline to apply is December 1 before 8:00 pm ET (5 pm Vancouver time). There are no extensions granted by the Agencies.
- Applicants need to create a Canadian Common CV: https://ccv-cvc.ca
- Applicants use the Research Portal to complete and submit their application: https://portal-portail.nserc-crsng.gc.ca
- Past experience has shown that many applications not submitted in time were missing the required reference assessments. A tutorial video for completing a Reference Assessment Form for a CGS M application is available on the Tri-Agency Harmonization of the Canada Graduate Scholarships webpage (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/CGSHarmonization-HarmonizationBESC_eng.asp). We encourage you to share this link with your references to ensure that their assessments are linked to your application well in advance of the deadline.
Contact Information – Research Portal Technical Support
For assistance, please contact the Research Portal helpdesk at:
Telephone: 613-995-4273, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm (Eastern time)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com