Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship
Anticipated 2020-2021 competition launch: June 01, 2020
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to Canada's economic, social and research‑based growth. Seventy Banting Fellowships (valued at $70,000 per year for two years) are awarded annually with an equal distribution among CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC.
The objectives of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are to:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- Develop leadership potential
- Position postdoctoral fellows for success as research leaders of tomorrow
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the applicant and the host institution, including demonstrated alignment of the supervisor’s research, the applicant’s research and the institution’s strategic priorities.
- Value: $70,000 per year for two years
- Tenable: April following competition
- Website: Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Website
- Are You Competitive? Are You Eligible?
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship program is competitive. Before you consider applying:
- Preliminary Selection
All interested candidates must submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 4, 2019.
For a full description of each item, see the 2019-20 Banting Competition Memo.
- Preliminary Application Form (email email@example.com for the form)
- CV (can be the CCV or your own formatted CV)
- Draft Applicant Summary (max 2 pages, can be point form)
- Draft Research Proposal (max 4 pages, can be point form)
- Draft supervisor summary (max 4 pages, can be point form)
- Complete Full Application
Only selected candidates will be invited to complete the full Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship application. All candidates will know their status by July 26th, 2019. Those going forward will be given guidance in completing their full application. The full draft application is due to the Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies office for final review by August 8, 2019.
- Final Endorsement
Candidates will need to submit the final version of their application to GPS for approval. At this time, you will be provided with the Institutional letter of Endorsement (by September 13th). The Full application must be submitted online by September 18th, 2019 (8:00 pm Eastern Time = 5:00 PM PACIFIC TIME). Please don't argue the submission time with GPS Staff; ResearchNet is not our system and we cannot provide extensions.
See profiles of SFU's Banting Fellowship recipients:
- Postdoc Profile: Claire Battershill, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: Tiffany-Anne Timbers, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: Thomas Flower, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: Lianne Willems, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: William Odom, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: Keren Zaiontz, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
- Postdoc Profile: William (Ben) Mortenson, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow