Dr. Brian Burtch Graduate Award in Criminology
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of the award is to recognize and reward an outstanding student enrolled in the third semester of a graduate degree program in the School of Criminology, who has completed the first two semesters of their degree.
- To be eligible for the award, a student must satisfying the following criteria:
- has demonstrated academic achievement at the undergraduate and graduate level
- is registered full-time in and has completed the first two semesters of a master’s degree program in the School of Criminology and is registered in their third semester
- has demonstrated positive contributions to the SFU or external community, including university engagement, leadership, volunteerism and/or teamwork
- Students must be NOMINATED for the award by the Director, School of Criminology. Students may submit an online award application and must be accompanied by
- a current, unofficial SFU transcript and/or a copy of the transcript of the most recent degree program completed
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's work
- a one page letter describing the applicant’s contributions to the SFU or external community, which can include university engagement, leadership, volunteerism and/or teamwork
- The completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the department of enrolment.
- The award will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, upon the nomination of the Director, School of Criminology.
Revised: April 2015 / GPSR072