Urban Studies Alumni Award for Community Engagement
The Urban Studies Alumni Award for Community Engagement was established in 2014 as an annual award with generous gifts from alumni and friends of Simon Fraser University's Urban Studies Program. In 2019, a donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, and who is a long-time staff member and member of the SFU Faculty Association, transferred a previous generous donation to endow this source of student support in Urban Studies.
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of these awards is to recognize and provide financial support to graduate students in the Urban Studies program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
- The criteria for this award:
- is registered to enter or have current full-time enrollment at Simon Fraser University in the Master of Urban Studies or Graduate Diploma in Urban Studies;
- have demonstrated academic excellence in the most recent degree program completed or in their current graduate program;
- have a demonstrated record of making strong and positive contributions to the community that build long term relationships and demonstrate leadership; and
- show promise of community leadership in urban issues.
- This award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Applications will be adjudicated via the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) managed by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, and must be accompanied by:
- copies of post-secondary transcripts;
- an application letter outlining the student's achievement and promise in community engagement;
- one letter of reference or supporting document providing evidence of the nominee's contributions to their community and/or community leadership; and
- a curriculum vitae summarizing scholastic achievements and work relevant to the aims of this award.
- The award will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee, upon the nomination of the Director, Urban Studies Program or his/her designate.
Revised: May 2020/ GESR238