Aphra Behn Graduate Scholarship in English
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this award is to provide financial support for a mature, female student (minimum age 30) pursuing a Master's or PhD program in the Department of English and conducting research preferably in the pre-20th Century period.
- The Aphra Behn Graduate Scholarship in English is a one-term award supported by the Ann Messenger Endowment, valued at a portion of the earned income from the endowment. Each award will normally be $1,000 more than a Simon Fraser University Graduate Fellowship at the student’s level (MA or PhD).
- The criteria for this award are:
- demonstrated academic excellence at the undergraduate level and, if applicable, at the graduate level
- registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program in the Department of English conducting research preferably in the pre-20th Century period
- promise of outstanding achievement at the graduate level with particular emphasis on intellectual ability, originality and ability in research
- This award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Application is made on the Application for a Private Graduate Scholarship form and must be accompanied by:
- copies of all post-secondary transcripts
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's work
- The completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the department of enrolment.
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the Department of English Graduate Committee, on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
Revised: February 2012 / GESR099