Edward W. Said Memorial Scholarship
Terms of Reference
The Edward W. Said Memorial Scholarship will provide an annual scholarship for a student pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degree.
- The purpose of this scholarship is to provide support for a graduate student in the academic study of Muslim societies and cultures, past and present that are consistent with the mission of the Centre for Comparative Muslim Studies (CCMS) at Simon Fraser University.
- The criteria for this award are:
- full-time registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program
- demonstrated academic and research excellence at the post-graduate level with particular emphasis on intellectual ability, originality and ability in research
- The award may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies.
- Application is made on the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) and must be accompanied by:
- a current, unofficial SFU transcript
- a concise, one-page description of the proposed program of studies which includes the importance of the scholarship to his/her research goals
- two letters of reference: one letter of reference from the student’s supervisor and a second letter of reference from someone other than the supervisor who is familiar with the applicant’s research and planning activities
- The completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the Director, Centre for Comparative Muslim Studies (CCMS).
- The award will be made by the Dean of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the Director of the Centre, on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
Revised: January 2019 / GPSR051