Hargreaves Scholarship in Science and Applied Sciences
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of this scholarship is to provide support for a student pursuing a graduate degree in Science or Applied Sciences whose research will contribute to the technology sector in British Columbia.
- One scholarship, valued at a minimum of $1,500, will be awarded annually to a student who fulfills the following criteria:
- demonstrated academic excellence at the undergraduate level and, if applicable, at the graduate level;
- full-time registration at Simon Fraser University in a graduate program in the Faculty of Applied Sciences or the Faculty of Science;
- promise of outstanding achievement at the graduate level with particular emphasis on intellectual ability, originality and ability in research;
- is undertaking research that will address issues of importance to growth companies in the British Columbia technology sector; and
- is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- The scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards made by SFU or other agencies, where pemitted by those agencies.
- Multiple scholarships may be distributed if undisbursed funds have been carried forward from a prior year or term.
- Applications will be made via the Graduate Award, Application and Adjudication System (GA3). Required documents include:
- a current, unofficial SFU transcript;
- a concise description (one page) of the student's research program including a description of the research implications for a British Columbia technology firm or the BC technology sector in general; and
- a letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic achievements and experience.
- The completed application and all supporting documentation must be received by the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences.
- The scholarship will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
Revised: April 2019/ GESR229