Vida Lee Azan Graduate Award in GSWS
Terms of Reference
- The purpose of the award is to provide financial support and recognition to graduate students who are in excellent academic standing, currently enrolled in their second year of either the course-based or the thesis based Master of Arts (MA) degree program in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, have demonstrated academic promise and progress, and whose work reflects a spirit of community mindedness.
- One or more scholarships, valued at a minimum of $3,750 each, will be granted annually, in any term, to a student(s) who fulfills the following criteria:
- has demonstrated academic excellence at the graduate level;
- is registered in their second year at Simon Fraser University in either the course-based or the thesis-based Master of Arts (MA) degree program in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies;
- has demonstrated academic promise and progress; and
- whose work reflects a spirit of community-mindedness either through a history of volunteerism, academic research or career goals.
- This scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards made by Simon Fraser University or other agencies where permitted by those agencies. Applications will be made via the online Grad Awards, Application and Adjudication System (GA3). Required documents include:
- copies of post-secondary transcripts;
- the applicant's curriculum vitae;
- one letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's work; and
- a one-page statement describing how the completion of their MA will help them achieve career goals of benefit to society, OR a letter of reference verifying the applicant's volunteer activities.
- If a suitable candidate is not identified, the scholarship may be disbursed in a subsequent term or year.
- The award will be granted by the Dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee upon the nomination of the Chair, Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies.
Revised: April 2018/ GESR225