International Student Barometer

Canadian Visa Office in Buffalo Closure: Where to apply if you're in Canada or the US

June 01, 2012

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recently announced the closure of the Canadian visa office in Buffalo, New York.

Some procedures have changed for students in Canada and the US applying for temporary and permanent residence.

  • If you are in Canada on a valid study or work permit, and need to apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada (if required for your country), you may now apply to the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa (CPP-O). See full details on the International Services for Students website.
  • If you are an American or national of another country currently residing in the US or Canada and have applied/plan to apply for permanent residence through the Economic (eg. Skilled Worker) or Family Class categories, final processing will now happen at the CPP-O. See more details.
  • If you are a newly-admitted American or national of another country currently residing in the US, new study and temporary work permit applications must be submitted to the visa offices in Los Angeles or New York.  All eligible students are encouraged to apply online through MyCIC.


Useful Resources

What about lost applications from the buffalo office?
0 Replies » Reply
I'm a temporary worker here in canada I want I have vacation in Philippine where to get a travel visa please helpe
1 Reply » Reply
Hi Maria, if you're an SFU student, you can get help from SFU's International Services for Students office: Otherwise, please contact the appropriate governmental offices. Good luck.
0 Replies » Reply