SFU logo

Job and Volunteer Postings

How to Find a Job on Campus

June 25, 2012

Graduate students can find meaningful employment opportunities in a number of places at the university, from our tutorial system which provides teaching experience to research assistant jobs which provide practical lab experience, to co-op programs and industry internships.

See: employment for graduate students

International Students

If you are an international student, you may work part-time on-campus as long as you are a full-time student in a degree or diploma program at SFU and hold a valid study permit. A work permit is not required for on-campus work, however you will require a Social Insurance Number.

“On campus” is defined by CIC as employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus. SFU students are permitted to work at any of the three SFU campuses (Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey). Your employer can be SFU (temporary assignments), a faculty member, the Student Society, yourself (e.g. private tutoring) or a private business or private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus.

Note: On the Burnaby campus, the definition of "on-campus" includes businesses in the Cornerstone building. At the Surrey and Vancouver campuses, the shopping malls and adjacent businesses are not considered on-campus employment.

For students working as teaching or research assistants on campus, in certain circumstances, the work to be performed may require you to be located at a library, hospital, or research facility affiliated with SFU but located outside the physical boundaries of one of our campuses. CIC regulations allow this, provided that the work being conducted is strictly related to your research grant.

For more information on your employment options, see the International Student Handbook and the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

Spouses and common-law partners of international students may also apply for work permits. See CIC's website for more info. (If your spouse or partner is in Canada with visitor status, you can download instructions for applying for a spousal work permit in Canada (pdf) from the International Services for Students website.)

Hey I need to work on Campus !
I am an International Student studying in FIC In business administration in 2nd semester ! i have a very flexible time table so can work easily part time in any of the departments.
Kindly let me know how to apply and get a job
Thanks alot
2 Replies » Reply
Please read the blog post above carefully, and follow the links above. That's probably your best strategy to get a job. Also, please speak with the FIC staff and ask them your question.
0 Replies » Reply
Hi Muneeb
Apparently if you are in FIC you cannot work on campus because FIC is not a publicly funded organization. You can work on campus after 6 months AFTER you transfer to SFU.
0 Replies » Reply
I am an exchange student, and I am seeking a part-time job.
My majors of study is Psychology and Social Work.
Hope someone could provide employment.

0 Replies » Reply
i m doing full time MBA here i need a work in campus so please can anybody help me to know where i can work
0 Replies » Reply
International students: Please read the text above very carefully and follow the links to get the accurate information on what kinds of student visas will allow you to work in Canada. Also, please visit SFU's International Student Services Centre and (if you're in Beedie) your department's career services centre. Good luck and best wishes!
0 Replies » Reply