Convocation Medal Winners 2013
Congratulations to this year’s Convocation Medal Winners! They will receive their awards at our Spring Convocation, June 11–14, 2013.
Governor General’s Gold Medals
The Governor General’s Gold Medals are awarded to the two SFU graduate students who achieve the highest academic standing upon graduation from a master’s or doctoral degree program.
- Emily Darling (Canada), PhD, Biological Sciences. Thesis: Corals in a stressful world: Life histories, synergies, and resilience. Read her full profile.
- Benjamin Woo (Canada), PhD, Communication. Thesis: Nerds!: Cultural practices and community-making in a subcultural scene. Read his full profile.
Dean of Graduate Studies Convocation Medals
The Convocation Medals for graduate studies recognize graduating students from each faculty whose cumulative grade-point averages place them in the top five per cent of their class.
- Thomas Elwood Culham (Canada), PhD, Education. Thesis: Ethics education of business leaders. Read his full profile.
- Paule Desgroseilliers (Canada), EdD, Education. Thesis: Étude des représentations du bilinguisme et du français langue seconde chez des apprenants en Colombie-Britannique. Read her full profile.
- Brittany D. Froese (Canada), PhD, Mathematics. Thesis: Numerical methods for the elliptic Monge-Ampere equation and optimal transport. Read her full profile.
- Yuan Echo Liao (China), PhD, Business. Thesis: Performance-related feedback in multicultural organizations: The role of regulatory focus, feedback framing and sign. Read her full profile.
- Julie Leigh MacArthur (Canada), PhD, Political Science. Thesis: Repowering electricity? The political economy of co-operatives in a neoliberal Canada. Read her full profile.
- Angela Russolillo (Canada), MSc, Health Sciences. Thesis: Emergency department utilization among formerly homeless adults with mental disorders after 1-year of housing first: A randomized controlled trial. Read her full profile.
- Maryam Sadeghi (Iran), PhD, Computing Science. Thesis: Towards prevention and early diagnosis of skin cancer: Computer-aided analysis of dermoscopy images. Read her full profile.
- Mehdi Saedi (Iran/Canada), MSc Finance, Business. Research project: Modeling the variance of variance through a constant elasticity of variance generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity model (pdf). Read his full profile.
- Karen Tanenbaum (USA), PhD, Interactive Arts and Technology. Thesis: User perceptions of adaptivity in ubiquitous systems: A critical exploration. Read her full profile.
- Blake Byron Walker (Canada), PhD, Geography. Thesis: Spatial-temporal epidemiology of violent trauma in urban environments. Read his full profile.
- Corey T. Watson (USA), PhD, Biological Sciences. Thesis: Genetic diversity at human immunoglobulin loci and implications for human disease. Read his full profile.
- Xianghua Wu (China), PhD, Linguistics. Thesis: A cross-language investigation of phonetic and phonological processing of lexical tone. Read her full profile.
- Jodi Yager (Canada), PhD, Psychology. Thesis: Understanding social competence in autism spectrum disorders: The development of a standardized measure. Read her full profile.
See also: 2012 Convocation Medal Winners.