Volunteer: Science World's Community Science Initiative
Science World BC is looking for graduate students to volunteer in their Community Science Initiative.
Science World’s new Community Scientist Initiative (CSI) is looking for scientists, researchers and other science-based professionals with a keen interest in engaging with public audiences, to become science communicators and ambassadors. Supported by gallery curators, and under the direction of the CSI Program Director, you will develop and deliver activities and experiences in our facility, TELUS World of Science.
The time commitment:
- Training stage (1st month): 2 training sessions (4 hours x 2) and a 1 hour mentoring meeting as you are supported in developing a hands-on activity
- 4 public engagement activities in a year. These activity commitments are generally fulfilled through participating in any Meet a Scientist event (4 hours) which are scheduled the second weekend of every month.
What you'll receive:
- Letters of acknowledgement and professional documentation, suitable for sharing with supervisors and for grant reporting
- Professional development, including workshops on developing inquiry-based activities and one on one mentorship with Science World educators
- Opportunities to network with local scientists committed to public engagement and education professionals
- In addition, Community Scientists will enjoy exhibit and OMNIMAX passes to share with family and friends and receive invitations to special events and social receptions
Tags: Job/Volunteer Postings