Tips and Tricks
50th Anniversary Grad Student Photo Contest
Simon Fraser University is celebrating its 50th Anniversary on September 9, 2015, and we’re giving away 5 pairs of tickets to graduate students for the university’s Celebrate and Savour gala event!
Fifty years covers a lot of time, distance and achievements. Since the Burnaby campus broke ground in 1963, SFU has expanded to downtown Vancouver and Surrey — and today, we offer graduate programs throughout the province, as well as online graduate courses and joint/double-degree programs across the globe.
This photo contest will be about graduate students and your engagement with SFU on its 50th birthday. We would love to see your photos, animated gifs, Vines, or even videos — and read your stories. Please use these questions as a starting place for your images and ideas around “SFU at 50 years young”:
- Meeting new people who become lifelong friends, falling in love, making research discoveries — what’s the best thing that has happened to you at SFU?
- For our incoming students — Hanging out at the SFU pond, performances at SFU Woodward’s, street festivals at SFU Surrey — what are you looking forward to the most?
- Or tell us why you chose SFU for graduate school. (Did a former alumnus inspire you to come here? Or was it because last year, SFU was ranked #24 in the global rankings of universities under 50 years old?)
- Bagpipes, the Terry Fox Run, lattes at Renaissance. What event or tradition most represents SFU to you? What's your favourite SFU legacy?
- Looking forward — What do you predict for the next 50 years for SFU? Are you working on new research that will change our world?
As in previous contests, we’ll post the photo submissions on our website so that we can share your photos and stories with others.
Judging and Prizes
Each contest winner will receive one pair of student tickets to SFU's 50th Anniversary Celebrate and Savour gala event. The judging panel will choose the top three winners based on their images and answers to the theme of “SFU at 50 years young.” Two more prizes will be awarded through a random draw.
Please send in your contest entries by September 1, 2015. Winners will be notified by Friday, September 4.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contest is open to current and on-leave SFU graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, and alumni who were graduate students.
- There are five prizes. Each prize will be one pair of student tickets to SFU's 50th Anniversary Celebrate and Savour gala event. Value: $70.
- You may submit a maximum of three photos but will not be able to win multiple times.
- Photos must be the highest resolution possible so that it can be used for print and web reproduction. Please save your photo in .jpeg or .jpg format.
- The maximum file size is 20 MB. If your file is larger, please email email@example.com to make other arrangements or send us a download link.
- By submitting your photo to the contest, you must agree that you are the photographer or have obtained permission to use the photo (if the latter, include the photographer’s name); you have permission to take the photo of the selected location and individuals, and have their permission to enter the photo in this contest; and as the photographer, you retain copyright to the photo submitted, but give unlimited and unrestricted permission for Simon Fraser University to use and reproduce the image for free in any media for promotional and/or informational materials.
Tags: tips & tricks