School of Resource and Environmental Management
Research Profile: Brent Loken, Resource and Environmental Management
Congratulations to Brent Loken, who was recently awarded both the Trudeau Doctoral Scholarship and Vanier Canada Graduate PhD Scholarship to pursue his research in the School of Resource and Environmental Management at Simon Fraser University.
Brent has lived and worked overseas since 1994 in countries such as Syria, Pakistan, Bolivia, Tanzania, Taiwan and Indonesia. Recently, Brent founded an NGO, Ethical Expeditions, that is working in East Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo with the indigenous Wehea Dayak community to help build a sustainable social-ecological system.
This summer, Brent is in Borneo leading a biodiversity study of the unexplored 38,000 hectare Wehea Forest and assisting with an ethnoecological study with the Wehea Dayak community. Both studies are part of a resilience analysis of the Wehea social-ecological system. He is also leading a group of 12 university students from across North America on a field school in Wehea.
Brent’s PhD research will investigate the resilience and sustainability of social-ecological systems in Borneo. He is interested in the configuration of variables or factors that lead to sustainable resource use. To that end, he is examining factors such as governance, ecology, culture and policies using Elinor Ostrom’s social-ecological systems framework as a guide and tools such as social-network analysis.
Additionally, he will investigate how REDD+ (reduced emissions from deforestation and degradation) is impacting and may continue to impact local communities who are implementing this program to help protect their forests.
- Ethical Expeditions
- Youtube: Ethical Expedition’s videos from Wehea, Borneo
- Resilience Alliance
- SFU School of Resource and Environmental Management
- Brent Loken’s biography on the Trudeau Scholarships website
- Vancouver Sun: Three local students awarded $180,000 scholarships from the Trudeau Foundation
- SFU press release: SFU student research scores Trudeau Scholarships
- SFU press release: "Mysterious monkey rediscovered in Bornean rainforest"
- Radio Canada International: Canadian study: fewer Orangutans left?