Tips and Tricks
Tip: Microsoft Office free for students
The Microsoft Office 365 suite is now available for free to registered SFU students.
- Signup link
- Type in your sfu.ca email address
- Click on the green “Check Eligibility” box
- You'll get a confirmation email to your SFU email account
- Includes Powerpoint, Word and Excel and can be installed on up to 5 computers or tablets (includes ipads)
Please note: If you are a TA or if your research involves recording the personal information of your research subjects, you should not use Microsoft's OneDrive service, as it stores the data on US servers. For example, please do not store grade spreadsheets in OneDrive.
See additional links:
- SFU's Cloud Computing FAQ
- BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act: Section 74.1.5 says that there can be a personal fine of up to $2000 for privacy protection offences.
- SFU IT Services Website - Software Downloads