Events and Conferences
Highlights: From PhD to Life with Jennifer Polk
Missed Dr. Jennifer Polk's seminar on Rethinking Success after Grad School? Don't worry! Here are some of the highlights of what the woman behind fromphdtolife.com had to say.
Jen's Ten Tips
1) Get support – it's a tough journey, so branch out and find help beyond your current social spheres
2) Recognize that academia is a total institution – DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!
3) Tenure track or bust is a TOTAL MYTH
4) Focus on your OWN strengths and values – remember that what YOU want is most important
5) Career exploration is CRITICAL
6) Your intuition is there for a reason - follow it!
7) Silence your inner critics
8) Take risks – even just small ones! The more you take, the more likely you are to succeed
9) Write a gratitude journal
10) Job search right – Check out the highlights from The Non-Academic Job Search with Anne Krook
Watch Dr. Jennifer Polk's seminar here.
(Note: Video page is password-protected to the SFU community. You will need to log in with your SFU email ID to watch it.)
Jennifer Polk addresses a question that was raised in the seminar by multiple students:
University Affairs: It’s OK to quit your PhD
- Twitter: Jennifer Polk
- Storify: Archived Twitter chats
- Facebook: From PhD to Life
- About.me: Jennifer Polk
- University Affairs: My new mission: From PhD to Life, the book!
- Jennifer Polk's website
- Beyond the Professoriate online conference
- Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes by William Bridges
- What Color Is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles