The Best Candidate Wins: Interview to Job Negotiation Strategies
The Best Candidate Wins is a practical and productive four-hour session designed for postdoctoral fellows who are seeking to transition into careers in business or industry. The principles and practices can also be applied to finding jobs in academia.
The program is meant to build your confidence and help you to:
- get your foot in the door and deliver your pitch or get an interview
- practice pitching the value you provide to a potential "employer"
- prepare for and successfully respond to questions in a simulated interview
- negotiate your compensation package once you are offered the position
- Date/Time: Thursday, May 26, 9 am–1 pm
- Location: Burnaby campus, TASC 1, Room 9204
- Cost: Workshop cost is $15.75*, which includes the pre-work, workshop manual and light refreshments.
*Please note the cancellation policy when you register.
Registration for current SFU Postdoctoral Fellows is through SFU Continuing Studies: https://noncredit.its.sfu.ca/modules/shop/index.html?action=section&OfferingID=3797&SectionID=8458. Please note: This is a separate SFU registration system and you will need to create a new user account on their system.
Registration for SFU PhD candidates: Five seats are reserved for SFU PhD candidates, who will require a reservation code. Please write to email@example.com to receive your registration code. A waitlist will be created for PhD candidates and if extra seats are available, waitlisted students will be offered a seat.
You will be expected to complete approximately 1.5 hrs of pre-work which consists of viewing videos, pre-reading and a short quiz. Please ensure you prepare and bring with you a current resume, brief bio and a sample career advert. Please also bring along your mobile device for recording your own interviews. Pre-work will be emailed to you upon confirmation of your space in the workshop.
TEMPLATES & TOOLS
At the end of the workshop participants will receive a copy of the most useful tools, templates and links to the resources referred to in the pre-work and the workshop.
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Dene Rossouw is founder of possibil.com in Vancouver, specializing in influencing and innovative solutions. He has broad experience in helping leaders build their influence and inspire innovation at work. He has worked with leaders, managers and students from all walks of life and facilitated hundreds of programs for various organizations in Africa and Canada. He is known for his ability to demystify complexity and explain processes using transferable concepts and dynamic models.
Dene is a Past President of the Vancouver chapter of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers and is a Certified Executive Coach through Royal Roads University. He is a Certified Emotional Intelligence Facilitator and has the Associate Certificate in Workplace Conflict from the Justice Institute of British Columbia. He has a degree in Theology from the University of South Africa.
OBJECTIVES of The BEst Candidate Wins
- Help you get your foot in the door;
- Equip you to clearly and persuasively pitch what you do and the value you bring in 60 seconds;
- Build your confidence in articulating your core value and professional expertise in a telephone interview – you will record your ‘interviews’ on your own mobile device;
- Prepare you for an interview and build awareness of power differentials and pitfalls;
- Build your confidence in responding to difficult interview questions;
- Provide a continuum of realistic expectations for negotiating your package if you are hired to fill a position in business or academia;
- Enable you to successfully negotiate your compensation package;
- Help you assimilate the information, strategies and skills you need so you can be the best candidate and get hired for the position;
- Provide practical tools and transferable concepts that you can use immediately after the program and for the rest of your career
Tags: professional development