Scholarships and awards
External Award: Foreign Government Awards Program - Mexico
The Government of Mexico, through Mexico’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), offers scholarships for study or research at the Master’s, PhD and Postdoctoral level or for medical specialization and sub-specialization. Canadians must apply to one of the participating post-secondary institutions listed on Mexico’s Agencia Mexicana de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo website. Please note that each participating institution offers different academic programs within the scholarship program.
To be eligible applicants must:
- be Canadian citizens, permanently residing in Canada by the competition deadline; Canadian citizens with Mexican nationality are not eligible; and
- have completed the prerequisite degrees for the proposed program of study at the time of submitting an application.
The award includes:
- a round trip, economy class airfare ticket for the scholarship recipient only, by the most direct and economical route between Canada and Mexico;
- transportation from Mexico City to the host institution and back, at the start and end of the scholarship, if studying outside Mexico City (the mode of transportation will depend on the distance);
- tuition and registration fees for the academic program as established by each institution;
- tuition fees and accommodation for a language course (where eligible) for up to six months or for half the length of the award;
- health insurance from the Mexican Social Security Institute starting after three months. The scholarship recipient must have health insurance that covers both major and minor medical expenses and provides international coverage for their first three months in Mexico.
- a monthly living allowance of:
- $ 8,412.00 MXN pesos for studies and research at the Master’s level; or
- $ 10,515.00 MXN pesos for doctoral studies and research, medical specializations and subspecialisation research at the PhD and postdoctoral level, and postdoctoral fellowships; or
- $ 8,412.00 MXN pesos for Spanish language or Mexican culture courses.
Applications are due no later than October 10, 2016. For more details on how to apply please visit the Goverment of Canada webpage.
Update 03/10/2016: FGAP has extended the application deadline from September 23 to October 10.
Tags: Scholarships & Awards;