Scholarships and awards
External Award: Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Fellowship
The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR) Health Policy Fellowship is a salary award for post-doctoral fellows engaged in health research who are interested in preparing for careers in a variety of health research and research user roles. Fellows undertake short-term (six to 12 months) policy assignments (see section 6) via placements within the BC Ministry of Health (MoH) or at one of the province’s health authorities. These placements may be separate from or complementary to a fellow’s current academic research program.
The budget envelope for this funding opportunity is $450,000, enough to fund at least nine fellowships during the 2017/18 fiscal year. One fellowship will be assigned to each of the seven BC health authorities, and two fellowships will be assigned to the BC MoH. The health policy fellowship consists of a salary stipend and a relocation/travel allowance.
The fellowship provides up to one year of salary support at $45,000 per annum, prorated as required depending on the length of the policy assignment. Benefits are not included in the salary stipend. If not already provided by the award recipient’s academic host institution, it is the responsibility of award recipients to purchase their own health and/or other extended benefits.
At the application deadline (November 4, 2016), the applicant:
- Must have obtained a health-related PhD, or a MD, DDS, DVM, DPharm or equivalent doctoral-level health professional degree.
- Must be engaged in post-doctoral research training at a BC-based Host Institution at the time the award begins.
- Must commit to spending at least 75 percent of their time conducting activities related to the policy assignment.
- Must obtain a letter of reference from their academic supervisor endorsing their participation in the Health Policy Fellowship Program.
- Cannot have previous held a MSFHR-CIHR Science Policy Fellowship.
- Cannot conduct a policy assignment at the same BC health authority where s/he is currently employed (if applicable).
All applicants and referees applying for the first time to MSFHR will need to register on MSFHR ApplyNet and create a system account email and password.
Competition deadline: November 4, 2016
Please see here for more information and guidlines for applying.
Tags: Scholarships & Awards;