Events and Conferences
Highlights: Designing Your Life: Unique Careers of Advanced Degree Holders
On February 7 at the Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, graduate students and postdocs gathered to meet with 12 SFU grad student alumni who pursued interesting, non-linear careers beyond academia. Despite the snowy weather, over 70 people attended this pioneer event and it was a great success. Attendees learned from the panelists about their experiences in making the decision to find a career outside of academia, and how they got to where they are today.
The event was organized by the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Studies, Career and Volunteer Services, and the SFU Alumni Association.
- Aaron Cruikshank (MA, Public Policy), Managing Partner, Crux Group
- Adrian Moise (PhD, Computing Science), Founder and CEO, Aequilibrium Software
- Brendan Connors (PhD, Biology), Senior Systems Ecologist, ESSA Technologies
- Cindy Jiang (MPH, Public Health), Manager, Threadworks
- Darcie Bennett (PhD, Sociology), Director of Strategy, Pivot Legal Society
- Helen Kang (PhD, Sociology), Medical Writer and Researcher
- Joanne Hastie (MBA, Business Administration), Marketing, Sponsorship & Business Development Director, GranFondo Canada and professional artist
- Mike Damiani (PhD, Chemistry), Patent Lawyer
- John Grant (MED, Education), Director, SFU Alumni Relations
- Parvind Grewal (PhD, Mechatronics), Systems Analyst, Provincial Health Services Authority
- Robin Roff (PhD, Geography), Conflict Resolution Specialist, UBC Faculty Association
- Steve Anderson (MA, Communication), Founder and Senior Strategist, OpenMedia