Scholarships and Awards
External Award: AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science
The AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science recognizes early-career scientists and engineers who demonstrate excellence in their contribution to public engagement with science activities. A monetary prize of $5,000, a commemorative plaque, complimentary registration to the AAAS Annual Meeting, and reimbursement for reasonable hotel and travel expenses to attend the AAAS Annual Meeting to receive the prize are given to the recipient.
- Candidate must be a scientist or engineer actively conducting research in any scientific discipline (including social sciences and medicine). Public engagement activities must be above and beyond job responsibilities.
- Candidate must be “early career,” which is defined as an individual who is less than seven years past their terminal degree or pre-tenure (or job equivalent). Post-doctoral fellows are eligible for this award.
- Nominees no longer considered "early career" as defined by this award might be eligible for the AAAS Award for Public Engagement with Science.
- Candidate will have demonstrated excellence in his/her contributions to public engagement with science activities, with a focus on interactive dialogue between the individual and a non-scientific, public audience(s).
- Types of public engagement activities might include: informal science education, public outreach, public policy, and/or science communication activities, such as mass media, public dialogue, radio, TV and film, science cafés, science fairs, and social and online media.
Tags: Scholarships and Awards;