External Award: PhD Scholarships for Biology, Math and Computing Science in the Netherlands
The Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES) of the University of Groningen (Netherlands) and the department of Coastal Systems (COS) of the Royal NIOZ (Netherlands) are looking for two excellent, highly motivated PhD students with a keen interest in evolutionary biology, behavioural ecology, and/or animal personalities. You will help create an integrative perspective on the adaptive capacity of organisms to environmental change. In the project, the two PhD candidates will closely collaborate.
PhD Student Royal Nioz (Lab and Field Work)
- Located at the Royal NIOZ headquarters on Texel
- Investigating to what extent and by which cues individual differences in behavioural tendencies originate early in development, and what their consequences are for the life history, social behaviour and spatial distribution of Red Knots in the field
- Looking for a PhD candidate with an MSc in Biology and a keen interest in behavioural ecology
- 4-year full-time position with a pension scheme, a yearly 8% vacation allowance, a year-end bonus and flexible employment conditions. Cost of relocation and help with housing is provided by the Royal NIOZ.
- Participant will obtain a doctorate at the University of Groningen with Prof. Theunis Piersma
PhD Student Gelifes, University of Groningen (Modelling)
- Located at the Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES)
- Investigating how environmental conditions determine the evolution of individual response strategies and deriving testable predictions on how these strategies affect the short- and long-term capacity of Red Knots to cope with various types of environmental change
- Looking for a motivated candidate with an MSc in Biology or an MSc in a field related to mathematics and the computer sciences. The perfect candidate has a strong, multidisciplinary interest in evolutionary theory
- The University of Groningen offers you a full-time scholarship position for 4 years
- Participant will obtain a doctorate at the University of Groningen with Prof. Franjo Weissing
- To learn more about the research at the Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences, please visit the university website.
To apply, please send your entire application (in English), including a cover letter, brief proposal, full CV, copy of your passport, sample of academic writing, certified copy or scan of MA diploma and academic record, and the names and contact details of two academic references via the correct online application portal (University of Groningen here, Royal NOIZ here) by 23:59 Dutch local time on November 5, 2017. Please submit as one single PDF and upload as "letter of motivation".
For more information on the PhD training programmes and scholarships, as well as detailed application instruction, please visit the scholarship website.