External Award: Soroptimist Grants for Canadian Women
The Soroptimist Foundation of Canada (SFC) annually offers several $7,500 grants to female graduate students in Canada to assist them with university studies that will qualify them for careers that will improve the quality of women’s lives. Examples include but are not limited to: providing medical services, providing legal counselling and assistance, counselling mature women entering or re-entering the labour market, counselling women in crisis, counselling and training women for nontraditional employment, and positions in women’s centres.
To be eligible, an applicant must be:
- A female
- A Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- An accepted registrant in a full-time graduate studies program (Masters or PhD) or professional program at a similar level (medicine, law) in an accredited Canadian university, at the time of the application deadline
- Pursuing a course of studies which will lead to a career mainly of service to women
- Spending a minimum of two years in such a career in Canada
- Intending to use the award for academic studies in the academic year following receipt of award
- Contributing to your community through volunteer service
- Needing financial assistance
An applicant must meet all eight requirements to qualify for a Soroptimist grant. An applicant may apply more than once, and may receive a Grant in more than one year, but no more than two consecutive years. Soroptimist members are not eligible although family members may apply.
An applicant may apply in either English or French. Completed applications and all required documents (as outlined in the application package attached below) must be submitted in one envelope and must be received no later than January 31, 2018 to be considered. The Soroptimist Foundation of Canada does not accept electronic applications.
More information about the SFC and past winner biographies are available in the attached document below: