Job and Volunteer Postings
Job Posting: Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator
Position: Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator, Research Commons, W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Salary: $24.01 per hour (includes 4% in lieu of vacation).
Hours: Flexible – up to 8 hours per week preferred – times and days negotiable. Remote work possible for some duties.
Term: January – May 2018; possibility of extension.
Description: The Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator assists with the development and provision of Library GIS services of particular interest to SFU graduate students in a variety of disciplines. The incumbent will work with the GIS & Map Librarian to develop GIS workshops for students, and to provide one-on-one GIS consultations both virtually and in person. Other duties may include developing documentation, guides, and relevant web pages to support the Library’s GIS services. The Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator works under the supervision of the GIS & Map Librarian, in coordination with the Head, Research Commons. While the position is based at SFU Burnaby, travel to SFU Surrey and SFU Vancouver may be required from time to time.
- Currently enrolled in an SFU Graduate Program.
- Significant experience and/or training in GIS.
- Demonstrated familiarity with ArcGIS 10.5 GIS desktop software and/or QGIS.
- Demonstrated ability to explain GIS and spatial approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students individually and in groups.
- An aptitude for providing instruction in a group setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator is expected to:
- Develop and facilitate GIS workshops for graduate students.
- Work one-on-one with graduate students to facilitate understanding and application of geospatial skills and GIS tools.
- Develop documentation and website materials to facilitate the use of GIS software by SFU researchers from a variety of disciplines.
- Communicate effectively and in a collegial manner with researchers as well as Research Commons staff.
- Undertake occasional related projects at the direction and discretion of the GIS & Map Librarian.
- Provide administrative documentation of workshops, consultations, and other work in a timely manner.
- Be reliable and punctual.
The Graduate Peer GIS Facilitator does not:
- Provide course or assignment specific instruction to students.
- Complete student assignments/projects or portions of assignments/projects.
- Provide assessments or evaluations of students’ work.
- Allow any political, social, educational, philosophical, or other biases or preferences to have a part in his or her consultation relationships with researchers.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae
- Contact information for two references
- Two samples of GIS project work
Deadline: This posting will remain open until the position is filled. To be given assured consideration, applications should be submitted by December 14, 2017. Please submit applications via email in one consolidated PDF document to:
GIS & Map Librarian
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University