External Award: OAS Academic Scholarships Program for Canadians Studying Abroad
The Organisation of American States (OAS) offers academic scholarships to Canadians for Master’s or PhD level study or research that leads to a degree in an OAS Member State.
There are two types of OAS scholarships available:
- Scholarships in an OAS Consortium University: candidates apply directly to up to three programs in universities or educational institutions from the OAS Consortium of Universities list, located in up to three different countries. Candidates must consider at least two different countries of study in their OAS application to be eligible. Applying to this type of scholarship increases the candidate’s chances of being offered an OAS scholarship. Note that under this option, the OAS will reserve the right to select a country of study or research for selected candidates.
- Scholarships in a Non-OAS Consortium University: candidates apply directly for admission to the universities or educational institutions of their choice and apply separately for an OAS scholarship.
The value of the scholarship is USD 15,000 (maximum) per academic year. The benefits are assigned on a case-by-case basis and may include:
- a round-trip economy-class airfare ticket from Canada to the country of study
- tuition fees and mandatory expenses for the academic program
- a fixed monthly allowance (for onsite candidates only)
- medical insurance (for onsite candidates only)
- a fixed annual book allowance (USD 300 for onsite studies; USD 1,000 for online studies)
Scholarships are tenable for a minimum of one academic year, which must begin between August/September 2018 and April 2019. The scholarship can be renewed once for a total of two academic years. Candidates who have already started a program of graduate studies are eligible to apply.
- be Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada
- have completed the prerequisite degrees for the proposed program of study at the time of submitting an application
- be in good physical and mental health to complete the program of study successfully
- possess the linguistic competencies necessary to undertake studies in the language of the institution
The deadline to apply for these scholarships is 11:59 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2018. To find out more about these award and how to apply, please visit the OAS Academic Scholarship Program page.
Tags: Scholarships and Awards;