Tips and Tricks

Tax Information for Graduate Students

February 19, 2018

SFU is required to report certain information to enable you to complete your Canadian income tax returns. In February or March of each year, you may also receive slips from other sources (e.g. other employers, funding agencies, banks, child care providers etc.).

As a graduate student, you may have received funds from SFU through your student account and/or through SFU Payroll. You will need to download your 2017 tax slips accordingly.

Individuals who have not "Accepted" online delivery of your Tax Forms (T4A only) will be mailed printed tax slips by February 28th, 2018.

New this year:

The 2017 Federal Budget allows T4 slips to be distributed electronically without having to obtain express consent from the employee. This applies to T4 slips issued for 2017 and subsequent years, this does not apply to T4A slips. Thus, for those who did not provide consent in myINFO, you will be able to view your T4 online and will also receive a paper copy in the mail.

New to Canada?

Because you asked, we've also provided a brief overview of the Canadian tax system - see Income Taxes for International Graduate Students

If you have questions or need assistance filing your tax return:

Canada Revenue Agency: Useful Links

Tags: tips & tricks;