Scholarships and awards
External Award: CIMVHR Awards for Veteran Health Research
The Canadian Institute for Military & Veteran Health Research offers two major scholarships for master's and doctoral graduate students pursing research with a focus on Veterans and their families:
Royal Canadian Legion Masters Scholarship in Veteran Health Research
$15,000/year for 2 years to a master’s level student specializing in research related to Veterans and their families.
"Canada provides our military with the best training and equipment in the world, but we must also ensure that these soldiers return home with ample supports in place as they potentially face a "new battlefield" of challenges. These challenges may include physical and mental injuries, or social challenges as Veterans reintegrate into family and community life. These support systems must be based on research evidence from the best and brightest Canada has to offer.
To this end, The Royal Canadian Legion is proud to offer this annual entrance scholarship to a Master’s level student specializing in research related to Veterans and their families. Students will be funded $15,000 each year for two years."
- Be a student entering their first year of a full-time master’s program
- Be doing research which has significant potential to improve the physical or mental health or well-being of veteran population, or their families
- Demonstrate a high level of quality in proposed research methodology, and excellent analytical and writing skills
- Exhibit significant potential for a high-impact research career in a relevant area
For more information on The Royal Canadian Legion, please visit: www.legion.ca.
The deadline to apply for this award is May 31, 2018. For more information about how to apply, please see the full application document attached below:
Wounded Warriors Doctoral Scholarship in Military and Veteran Health Research
$18,000/year for 2 years to a doctoral level student researching issues relevant to military members, Veterans and families.
"More Canadian research is needed to address the needs over the life course of those who serve or have served our nation and their families. (CIMVHR) and Wounded Warriors Canada (WWC) have made a ten year commitment to Canadian scholarships that will ensure a lasting legacy for military and Veteran health research in Canada by training a future generation of researchers.
One scholarship will be awarded annually to a PhD student who demonstrates excellence in research issues relevant to military members, Veterans and families while also exhibiting significant potential for a high impact research career. Students will be funded for $18,000 each year for two years."
- Be a full-time student
- Be doing research on a topic in one of CIMVHR’s priority research areas that is of significant potential importance to improving the physical or mental health or wellbeing of military or Veteran populations or their families (the beneficiary populations)
- Have completed your comprehensive exams and are entering the third year of PhD program
For more information on Wounded Warriors Canada visit: www.woundedwarriors.ca.
The deadline to apply for this award is September 1, 2018. For more information about how to apply, please see the full application document attached below: