Job and Volunteering Postings
Job Posting: Mitacs Globalink Mentors
Mitacs is seeking undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate students to work as Globalink Mentors for the summer of 2019. It is open to anyone to be a mentor, no participation or experiences in a Mitacs program required.
- Salary: $20/hour
- Time Commitment: average 5hrs/week to this four to five month position
- Deadline: February 5
The role of a Globalink Mentor is to provide health, safety, and social support for around five Globalink Research Interns (GRIs) between May and September 2019. Some email communication is also required in the month of April to arrange airport pick-up. Globalink Mentors help GRIs become oriented to their host university and the surrounding area, and provide ongoing weekly support. The position requires a commitment of around 5hrs/week. More work is required at the beginning of the term when the GRIs arrive; less work is required throughout the summer as the GRIs become more comfortable with their surroundings.
- Prepares a (1-page minimum) welcome package and sends to GRIs before arrival.
- Attends training provided by Mitacs to all Globalink Mentors.
- Provides pre-arrival information to the GRI as they prepare to arrive in Canada.
- Meets assigned GRIs at the airport, escorts them to their accommodation.
- Arranges to meet with GRIs shortly after arrival (within 1-2 days) to give them a tour of the campus.
- Supports GRI to open a bank account in accordance with Mitacs instructions.
B. Social Events
- Organizes two social events for all assigned GRIs. A budget is supplied by Mitacs.
C. Ongoing Support
- Contacts GRIs at least once a week to check up on them and answer their questions. Acts as an emergency contact for GRIs.
D. Wrap-up and Reporting
- Meets with each GRI one week before departure to make sure that they are prepared for departure. Submits a final report with a description of experiences and feedback. Submits a final expense claim for arrival transportation ane social event costs.
- Must have attended the host university for 2 years or more (or is a Globalink Alumni who is now a Canadian graduate student)
- Must remain in the host city/town for 80% or more of the summer
- Legally permitted to work off-campus in Canada
- Must be able to speak and communicate in English
- Understands international students and their needs;
- Experienced, understanding, and respectful of cultural differences;
- Strong familiarity with the host university and local community;
- Experience as a Residence Don/Advisor, or supervising other students;
- Involvement in extra-curricular clubs, hobbies, and activities;
To join the team for summer 2019, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to globalinkhire(at)mitacs.ca. The title of your job application email should be “University X – Application for the Globalink Mentor Job”. X represents the name of the institution at which you are applying to be a Globalink Mentor in the email title and text. Your resume should include the university you are attending and the program that you are enrolled in.
The application deadline is February 5, 2019.
For more information, visit the Mitacs website.