Job and Volunteering Postings
Job Posting: Big Data Developer
Are you a computing science grad student nearing completion of your degree? You might want to apply for this position with SFU's Big Data Hub.
- Salary: $69,723 To $83,262 Annually
- Biweekly Hours: 72
- End Date: March 31, 2020
- Deadline: Open until filled.
The Big Data Developer supports researchers across various data-intensive research fields, as part of KEY, SFU's Big Data Initiative. The Developer provides guidance in areas such as code development, configuring, debugging, optimization, and parallelization of software. The Developer works in SFU's Big Data Hub to provide consulting services and advice to researchers on solutions to best meet their research needs.
- Bachelor's degree in Computing Science or a related discipline, and four years of related experience in areas such as research, and working directly with Faculty members, researchers, and students; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of open source systems (i.e. Drupal, WordPress).
- Knowledge of software development planning, development, testing, and change management.
- Knowledge of UI and UX design and methods.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix, Windows, and Mac operating environments.
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Knowledge of Git for revision control.
- Knowledge of scientific or research-oriented projects and methods (i.e. quantitative and qualitative research).
- Knowledge of public (i.e. Amazon EC2) and private (i.e. OpenStack, Cloudstack) cloud infrastructure deployments.
- Knowledge of advanced parallel processing frameworks (i.e. GPGPU and FPGA).
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (oral, written, presentation).
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to implement the best practices of both network and data security.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of current trends in programming and development.
- Ability to quickly learn and incorporate new programming languages and technologies.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, and adapt to an environment with rapidly shifting priorities.
- Ability to develop technical and end user documentation, and explain technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Ability to arrange suitable transportation to various work locations.
For more information, see the job posting online.