Just-in-Time International Teaching Assistant Seminar
The Fall 2015 "Just-in-Time" ITA Seminar is a free 3-session mini-course focused on Academic Culture & Communication and Essential Skills for Teaching Assistants.
The sessions are designed to offer timely orientation and support to graduate teaching assistants who are new to the North American academia, and whose first language is not English.
Register for the "Just-in-Time" ITA seminar series to help you get your SFU teaching career off to a positive start!
- The seminar is FREE for SFU graduate students. A refundable deposit of $50 will be required to hold your space. Participants must attend all three workshops to receive a full refund of $50.
- The seminar is open to all new and current grad students in all disciplines. Priority will be given to those expected to have teaching assignments in their first or second term.
- Participants must attend the seminar in its entirety (all three Saturdays). The curriculum is practical and interactive — it is beneficial to participate in the series from beginning to end.
- For more in-depth training, you are also strongly encouraged to attend the free 10 week intensive ITA seminar.
International Teaching Assistant Program
- Participants will enhance their understanding and familiarity with the academic norms, practices and protocols of North American academia in general, and of SFU in particular.
- Participants will enhance important teaching, marking, tutoring, as well as other vital skills required of teaching assistants at SFU.
- Participants will have more confidence and preparedness to deal with potential challenges in their new roles and duties as teaching assistants.
Skills Required of a Teaching Assistant
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the educational system, including all aspects of academic life
- Communication skills, including good listening skills
- Specialist or disciplinary knowledge and expertise
- Understanding of students' needs
- Respect for different learning styles
- Ease and familiarity with a diverse teaching and learning environment
- When you use the online registration system, we will ask you to create a simple profile where you will set your login and a password. Once you have an account, you can register for the seminar.
- Your credit card will be charged a $50 fee as deposit when you register. You have to attend all three workshops to receive a full refund of the deposit.
- We will issue refunds in the original method of payment and to the original payee only.
Cancellations and Transfers
- If you want to cancel your registration, please send your written request to us at least seven business days before the seminar start date. Cancellation refunds are subject to a 20 percent administrative charge of $10. The same applies to a request to transfer.
- If you submit a cancellation or transfer request less than seven business days before the course start date, you will not receive a refund. It is also too late to request to transfer within the 7-day period.
- Please include your payment receipt when you request a refund.