The Dean of Graduate Studies facilitates several workshops for SFU faculty members on graduate supervision.
Topics include SFU's expectations about graduate supervision, keeping on track, and anticipating and dealing with common problems. The focus is on how to make a productive relationship between senior supervisors and graduate students.
Separate sessions are offered to faculty and graduate students, which provide time for open discussion, and a variety of materials and resources. Workshop groups are kept small. Registration is required.
Brown Bag Lunch Sessions for 2013–2014
Fridays, 12 noon–1:30 pm (drop in any time)
Library 7301 (except for * dates below)
Bring your own lunch. We provide refreshments
These brown-bag sessions are open to all faculty and postdoctoral fellows. These are opportunities to chat confidentially about supervisory issues you may be facing, share promising practices and work together on professional development around graduate teaching. This is the schedule for 2013–2014:
- September 27 – Your new graduate students – setting expectations
- October 25 – Writing effective letters of reference
- Postponed: January 24 – Selecting the best students
- *February 4 -- Selecting the best students- LIB 7200 (time 11:30 to 12:30)
- Postponed: February 27 -- How to handle students who are making unsatisfactory progress
- *March 6 – How to handle students who are making unsatisfactory progress - LIB 7200 (time 11:00 to 12:00)
- April 22 – Mentoring across cultures - LIB 7301 (time 12-1:30)