Study and Work Permits

Changes to International Student Immigration Regulations
(effective June 1, 2014)

Please review the following links for important information

Applying for a Study Permit Outside of Canada

Before you can study in Canada, you must obtain a study permit by applying to your closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate. You should not leave home until you receive a "letter of introduction" from the Embassy or Consulate stating that your Study Permit has been approved.


Application Process

See also: avoiding delays in study permit processing

Documents Required from SFU

  • You will receive an Offer of Admission and Funding letter from the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows. This will be sent electronically, followed up with a hard copy by mail. Both are considered official and can be used to apply for your study permit. The second page of the Offer of Admission and Funding letter is a study permit information form, which will indicate the maximum length of your program, detail any funding you have been offered, and provide the estimated tuition and fees for your first year. If your program has a mandatory internship or co-operative education (co-op) component, this will also be indicated on the Study Permit information form and can be used to request a Co-Op/Internship Work Permit, in addition to a Study Permit. Co-op/Internship work permits are fee-exempt.

Working On & Off Campus During Your Studies

  • Full-time graduate students at SFU with valid study permits may accept part-time employment on any of our three campuses without obtaining a work permit. International students may also be eligible to work part-time off-campus and to apply for co-op work permits.
  • For more information on work permits, please see the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website. Detailed handouts are also available on the SFU International Services for Students website.

See also: employment options for graduate students