Please use this section to get settled, find support and take advantage of university services.
Find off-campus housing
Before you rent, we recommend reviewing the Renting It Right free online course from the Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC) and Justice Education Society.
You can begin your search for off-campus housing by checking out websites such as:
- Places4Students (affiliated with SFU Residences)
- Craigslist's housing listings (Burnaby is closest to the main campus; also see Surrey or Vancouver listings)
- Padmapper.com maps some postings. (They had to remove Craigslist in August 2015.) You can search Padmapper by postal code
- Burnaby: V5A 1S6
- Vancouver: V6B 5K3
- Surrey: V3T 0A3
- New Westminster: V3L 1H9 (New Westminster is central and has easy SkyTrain access to all 3 campuses.)
- Kijiji's housing listings
- Newspaper ads
- Notice boards around campus
SFU does not pre-screen ads for off-campus housing, so it is your responsibility to check out the listings carefully.
- Note that there are rental scams — here's a description of how some of them work — http://vancouvercondo.info/2008/03/beware-the-craigslist-rental-scam.html
- Consumer Protection BC: Avoiding rental property scams
- Vancouver Police: Rental Scams
- Huffington Post: How do rental scams work?
- Craigslist: Avoiding Scams
Connect With Other Graduate Students
You can connect with other graduate students to find roommates to share costs, or get advice from current grad students who have been through this experience.
U-Pass BC is part of your student fees and provides access to public transit. To help you plan your commute from off-campus housing, see the system maps for public transit: http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/System-Maps.aspx
Finally, here's a google map of Metro Vancouver, with a driving route connecting the 3 campuses — http://at.sfu.ca/OBaiAj — you can plug in addresses for housing you're looking at to see how long the commute would be.
SFU Residences has used Cube2Go for temporary storage for your possessions, in case you're moving in several stages.