Virtual Orientation

Please use this section to get settled, find support and take advantage of university services. 

Get your cell phone and bank account

Cell phone

There is a broad range of costs for cell phones in Metro Vancouver. These links will help you get started with your research.

Note that there is free wifi for students on all SFU campuses. There are also many free wifi spots all around Metro Vancouver:

Bank account

To open a bank account in Canada, you’ll need your passportSFU Student ID card, proof of enrollment at SFU and documentation of your address in Canada (such as a phone bill or Residence contract). You may also need to provide your study permit as proof of your status in Canada. You may need to make an appointment before opening an account.

Burnaby Campus
If you are based at the Burnaby campus, the bank on campus is Scotiabank, and they are able to open bank accounts for some international students who have not arrived in Canada yet. See their Let's Get You Started page. (Note: There are also bank machines on campus for other Canadian banks.)

Surrey and Vancouver Campuses
If you are based at the Surrey or Vancouver campuses, you have access to many Canadian banks and credit unions.

Please visit the International Student Advising page for information on banking institutions in Metro Vancouver.